First Presbyterian Church of Birmingham is currently seeking a Head of Staff (potentially a co-pastor pair or clergy couple). This page provides greater detail regarding this position and our congregation. Interested call seekers may contact us at email@example.com for more information.
Meet our Pastor Nominating Committee.
A Community of the Presbyterian Church (USA) where:
- The Needs of the People Meet the Power of God
- All are Welcomed and Valued
- Children Are Cherished
- Strangers Become Friends
- The Gospel Speaks to the Heart and Mind
- Worship Lifts the Spirit
- Serving Changes Lives
- A Vibrant People Make a Vital Difference
We aspire to be a diverse, vibrant, growing church that serves as a welcoming home in the heart of the city for our congregation and our community, in which the needs of the people meet the power of God, and where we challenge ourselves and raise our collective voice to make our world a more just and loving place.
- Turn up the volume for a God of love and justice. Share the open, inclusive, compassionate message of who and how we are in the context of where we are.
- Plan and clearly communicate mission messaging, sharing it via digital and other appropriate media.
- Build meaningful relationships, show welcome to all, and open new doors into faith.
- Engage locally and globally, serving a diverse population in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Integrate mission priorities with worship and learning, challenging children, youth, and adults to engage.
- Connect with the downtown neighborhood and become a neighbor in the heart of the city.
- Given all that Birmingham has to offer, find creative ways to employ the arts to connect and further our mission.
- Review the definition of church membership; in light of social media and digital connectedness.
- Bridge divides, build trust, and seek justice, love, and compassion. Form long-term relationships through hands-on engagement in mission work in such areas as racial reconciliation, educational equity, economic justice, homelessness, and fair housing.
- Where appropriate for mission, connect, build, and/or strengthen partnerships for mission impact and long-term transformational work.
WHO WE ARE
We are a diverse community, consisting of people young and old, black and white, single and married, gay and straight, cisgender and transgender, and everyone in between. We come from all walks of life, being lifelong Presbyterians and newcomers to the Reformed faith, liberals, conservatives, moderates, and everyone in between. We hail from all over the greater Birmingham area; some of us drive 30+ miles to get here, while some of us live downtown and can walk to church. We embrace this home in the heart of the city, committing to our neighbors downtown and being intentional about enjoying the gift of life God has given to us all. We gather together to worship God each week, to seek to follow Jesus Christ in our daily living, and, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, to be foolish enough to believe we can make a difference in this world.
We are people. We are Christians. We are Presbyterians. We are ready and waiting to welcome you into this vibrant community of faith.
A DEEPER DIVE
Click on any of the headings below to learn more:
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW - staff, session, diaconate, etc.
STAFF - background on our current and transitional staff.
MINISTRY TEAMS - focused around our shared vision and goals.
MISSION OVERVIEW - engagement in our community, both locally and globally.
MISSION PARTNERS - current affiliations.
WORSHIP STYLE - traditional reformed with room for creativity.
HISTORY - committed to remaining steadfast in our downtown location.
FOUNDATION AND CAPITAL CAMPAIGN - our Capital Campaign (A Sustainable Future) began in 2016 to preserve and repair our historic building and continue to fund our foundation for years to come.
OUR SURROUNDING COMMUNITY
Our city, Birmingham, Alabama, has experienced a great deal of growth in the past 20 years. We are now home to outstanding recreational, cultural, and culinary resources. Take a look at what Birmingham has to offer.
EVENTS AND GENERAL INFORMATION
City of Birmingham main website: https://www.birminghamal.gov
Birmingham365, comprehensive list of events and activities: https://www.birmingham365.org/
Happenins in the ‘Ham, even more to do! http://happeninsintheham.com/
BhamWiki, a 10+ year project to catalog the city: http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/Main_Page
ARTS & CULTURE
Red Mountain Theatre, hosting musical and stage plays: http://redmountaintheatre.org/
Sidewalk Film Festival, celebrating 20 years in 2018: https://www.sidewalkfest.com/
Secret Stages, 2 days, 60+ bands! https://www.secretstages.net/
Birmingham Museum of Art, one of the largest in the Southeast: https://artsbma.org/
MakeBHM, a maker space: http://www.makebhm.com/
Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, a center for education and enlightenment on the city’s role in the Civil Rights movement: https://www.bcri.org/
Vulcan, the world’s largest cast iron statue: http://visitvulcan.com/
Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark, once the largest manufacturer of pig iron, now a museum, working metal arts studio, and event space: https://www.slossfurnaces.com/
McWane Science Center, interactive learning science center: http://www.mcwane.org
Birmingham Barons AA Baseball: new stadium in the heart of the city! https://www.milb.com/birmingham
Birmingham Legion professional soccer club, inaugural season in 2019 https://www.bhmlegion.com/
Birmingham Bulls minor league hockey https://www.bullshockey.net/
UAB College Sports: football, basketball, soccer, and more: https://uabsports.com/
LOCAL AND REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT
REV Birmingham, focused on the revitalization of the city: http://revbirmingham.org/
Economic Development Partnership of Alabama: https://www.edpa.org/
Create Birmingham, supporting the local creative and entrepreneurial scene: https://createbirmingham.org/
FOOD AND DRINK
Highland Bar & Grill, James Beard award winner for best restaurant in the country: https://highlandsbarandgrill.com
Pepper Place Market, a weekly farmers market: http://www.pepperplacemarket.com/
Good People Brewing, legally brewed since 2008! http://goodpeoplebrewing.com
So many more…
Railroad Park, anchoring the green space of downtown: http://www.railroadpark.org/
Ruffner Mountain Nature Preserve, a 10 minute drive from the center of the city: https://ruffnermountain.org/
Oak Mountain State Park, hiking, canoeing, camping, lake activities, and golf: http://www.alapark.com/oak-mountain-state-park